Skip to main content

Time to Fly

What if I fall?
Oh, but my darling. What if you fly?
- Erin Hanson

By this point we all know that "effective" teaching involves less of the teacher teaching and more of the students doing. But letting go of control in the classroom can be scary. This is a tale of how I faced my fear of loosing the reins, how it paid off in spades and how you can do the same.

My educational experience growing up was chalk and talk. I learned everything I was supposed to pretty well. So did my friends (likely because they were just like me). So, why change something if it isn't broken? In my first several years of teaching, chalk and talk was my default mode. When in doubt, just deliver the content. But, I knew all the research. This isn't really the way it should be done. Kids learn better when they do, when they are more engaged in the lesson, when they have more ownership, blah blah blah. But chalk and talk was working. So, why change the system? And what if I let go a little, try something new and the kids go nuts? What if I get observed? What if all hell breaks loose? What if they don't learn anything? What if???

Well, it took about 10 years for me to finally build up the courage and confidence in my ability, to move past the "What ifs" and embrace the blah, blah, blahs. And, it turns out it's the best thing I've ever done for my classroom, students and career.

First off, realize that your students will learn from you. Unless you are truly awful (and if you are taking the time to read this, I doubt you are), your students will learn the content. How they learn the content is really what's important. Our job is not to teach content (especially in elementary and middle school), it's to teach students how to learn our content. If you want to grow learners, you have to give them some control of their learning so that they learn how to educate themselves and make the choices that will push their learning forward. Let go a little bit and let them lead their learning. They will still learn the content, I promise.

Second, if letting go and giving kids too much choice scares you, you can give kids the illusion of choice. Even a little choice goes a long way with helping students feel more responsible for their learning and more engaged in the work. My students recently completed an earth science project where they got to choose a location to research from a list of places. They all had to complete a Google Slides presentation with the same rubric (though I let them define excellence for their own work). How they reported the information and how they formatted the final product was up to them.  I had outlined the standards to be addressed, the rest was up to them. They were engaged and interested in what they were doing. A little bit of freedom went a long way.

A lab I did where I gave the students the question I wanted them to answer and they designed their own experiment.


And third, the dreaded observation. What if you get observed when you are trying something new? If you have a reasonable administrator, and most are, explain what you are doing. You are trying something new, taking a chance that will better your practice. In fact, invite your administrators in. Maybe they can help you make it even better next time. Maybe it will be awesome and you've just nailed your observation. Or maybe it doesn't work out so well. Don't panic! Ask your admins if  they can not write it up since you were trying something new and invite them in the next time you try it having worked out some of the kinks. Most administrators want to see that you are trying to become better. That is the point of observations. Make them work in your favor. Take the chance and give the kids more control. The rewards far outweigh the risks.

Oh, and as for all hell breaking loose...well that's up to you and the culture you build in your space. I wouldn't try too much choice in the beginning of the year when you are building culture and establishing norms. But, once you have that all set up and the students know the expectations of your space, they will do just fine. They will know what you expect and how to behave. And, for the most part, they will deliver in the behavior department.

So try it. Make it your #onesmallthing. Make it your New Year's Resolution. Lean on other teachers for support and ideas. Lean on me! But give it a try. Loose the reins and give the students more control of what they are learning, how they are learning and how they show you they have learned. In the end, it will make your classroom a more enjoyable place for you and for your students (and let me know how it goes!). Worst case, you fall.  You try something new, it doesn't' work and you learn from your mistakes. Best case....oh but my darling, what if you FLY?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Teacher or an Educator?

I hope that I am an educator and not a teacher. Let me go back a few steps.   This past week I watched a very good friend of mine give her first TEDx talk on her experiences throwing out grades (and she rocked it!). This event also featured several student speakers.   All the students were fantastic – well spoken, poised and passionate in their delivery. They had a lot of great things to say but two of those things stood out for me.   One student talked about the experiences of students working hard to create projects that only the teacher sees.   This has sparked in me a tiny revolution but I am going to go into that further in another post.   This post focuses on the talk of a young man named Timmy, a senior in high school, who counted off the number of teachers he’d had over the years that he considered educators and not just teachers. As he went on to elaborate about what made a teacher an educator, I just kept thinking, “I wonder if he would call me an educator and not a teac

Musings about Rubrics

If you are reading this you probably know what a rubric is. If you don't, here's the quick and dirty. A rubric is a grading guide that is available to students. It tells them how their work is going to be evaluated and allows them to evaluate themselves. Rubrics can take many forms. Here is one I recently used with my students: A rubric I used for a project. What I wrote in the 4 column is definitely a work in progress. As a science department we are struggling with what mastery with excellence really means. In our school, as of this year, we grade on mastery grading system. There are 4 "grades" a student can get: Mastery with Excellence = you understand it so well you can teach it to others Mastery = you get it exactly as well as you should Approaching Mastery = you are almost at mastery but not quite there Not Yet Mastered = New to a skill or no where near mastering it Now, I don't know if this is the case with all mastery schools, but in

Your Potential is Infinite

To my students, Life is all about choices. Who you are and will be has not been decided. YOU choose who you want to be. Yes, there are some things about you that you cannot change: your race, sex, sexuality. But there are so many things you can change. And if you don’t like them, change them. But keep in mind, being a complete person takes a life time. Don’t beat yourself up if you are not yet the person you want to be. Your journey has just begun. Who you are today is not who you will be a few years from now. You will change in countless ways.   And you can control the direction of those changes. When I was in middle school, I was shy and very awkward. I wasn’t cool at all . And sometimes that really sucked. I was sensitive, I cried a lot. I was overweight and had super frizzy hair, both of which were pointed out to me and thrown at me as weapons on a regular basis. I had friends but I was by no means popular. This continued for me through college. Fina