Skip to main content

A Teacher or an Educator?

I hope that I am an educator and not a teacher.

Let me go back a few steps.  This past week I watched a very good friend of mine give her first TEDx talk on her experiences throwing out grades (and she rocked it!). This event also featured several student speakers.  All the students were fantastic – well spoken, poised and passionate in their delivery. They had a lot of great things to say but two of those things stood out for me.  One student talked about the experiences of students working hard to create projects that only the teacher sees.  This has sparked in me a tiny revolution but I am going to go into that further in another post.  This post focuses on the talk of a young man named Timmy, a senior in high school, who counted off the number of teachers he’d had over the years that he considered educators and not just teachers. As he went on to elaborate about what made a teacher an educator, I just kept thinking, “I wonder if he would call me an educator and not a teacher”.

What makes someone an educator as opposed to a teacher?  A few days out from the talk the details of what he said are starting to get a little fuzzy but here is what I remember (and have maybe filled in with some of my own ideas).  Educators are teachers that go the extra mile.  They may be wildly passionate about their subject and impart that passion on their students.  Educators may also be a maternal or paternal figure in the lives of their students, showing their students that they care about what they have to say and what is going on in their lives. Teachers, however, share what they know with their students but never quite make that special connection. I am a teacher, and I think, a pretty good one.  But that’s not enough.  I want to be an educator.

When I think back on my schooling, there are several teachers that I can point to and say that he or she made a lasting impression on me, several teachers that I can call an educator.  So (many years later) here is a thank you to those educators in my life:
·      Ms. Chin, my second grade teacher that took us to Chinatown on Chinese New Year
·      Ms. Neiman, my first grade teacher that helped me to find a job when I was in high school
·      Mr. Tannenbaum, my elementary school science teacher who taught me to love science
·      Mr. Ellel, who, through the magic of Facebook, I still (sort of) keep in touch with, and who helped me to realize I could actually do math when I was in middle school
·      Mr. Kreisman, the middle school French teacher that I will never forget
·      Ms. Stutman, the high school English teacher that would have passionate conversations with me about The Scarlet Letter

I was fortunate and had many good teachers, but a few really stand out because of the academic or personal impact they made on my life.  They are the educators in my life. A million thank yous for helping me to become the woman I am today.

Over the 12 years I have been teaching, hundreds and hundreds of students have come through my doors. Many years from now, if even a small percentage of them look back on their time in school and name me as one of the educators in their lives, then I have truly done my job.

Comments

  1. You are most certainly an educator, my friend... I've been thinking about this talk too and have considered writing. I'm glad you did though... Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musings about Rubrics

If you are reading this you probably know what a rubric is. If you don't, here's the quick and dirty. A rubric is a grading guide that is available to students. It tells them how their work is going to be evaluated and allows them to evaluate themselves. Rubrics can take many forms. Here is one I recently used with my students: A rubric I used for a project. What I wrote in the 4 column is definitely a work in progress. As a science department we are struggling with what mastery with excellence really means. In our school, as of this year, we grade on mastery grading system. There are 4 "grades" a student can get: Mastery with Excellence = you understand it so well you can teach it to others Mastery = you get it exactly as well as you should Approaching Mastery = you are almost at mastery but not quite there Not Yet Mastered = New to a skill or no where near mastering it Now, I don't know if this is the case with all mastery schools, but in

Your Potential is Infinite

To my students, Life is all about choices. Who you are and will be has not been decided. YOU choose who you want to be. Yes, there are some things about you that you cannot change: your race, sex, sexuality. But there are so many things you can change. And if you don’t like them, change them. But keep in mind, being a complete person takes a life time. Don’t beat yourself up if you are not yet the person you want to be. Your journey has just begun. Who you are today is not who you will be a few years from now. You will change in countless ways.   And you can control the direction of those changes. When I was in middle school, I was shy and very awkward. I wasn’t cool at all . And sometimes that really sucked. I was sensitive, I cried a lot. I was overweight and had super frizzy hair, both of which were pointed out to me and thrown at me as weapons on a regular basis. I had friends but I was by no means popular. This continued for me through college. Fina